This article is a sample from the above Volume:
New Milford: Map Resources
by (Mr.) Terry Hann
Listed below are the old maps on which New Milford appears.
1) 1805 Map of Warwick Valley. This is not a real map, but one based on the memories of Mr. Henry Pelton. The map was done by Mrs. Elizabeth VanDuzer in 1933. Reproductions of this map can be purchased from the Orange County Genealogical Society.
2) 1850 Map of Orange County. This map was done by J.C. Sidney and published by Newell S. Brown of Newburg. Reproductions of this map can be purchased from the Orange County Genealogy Society. It comes in quarters. Those interested in New Milford will want the Southwest quarter.
3) 1863 Farm Map of the Town of Warwick. This was surveyed, drawn, and published by Michael Hughes. Reproductions can be purchased from the Orange County Genealogical Society.
4) 1875 County Atlas of Orange New York. This map was done by F.W. Beers. This map can be found onling at the Albert Wisner Public Library located in Warwick, New York.
5) 1903 Atlas of Orange County. This map was done by J.M. Lathrop and published by A.H. Mueller. This map can be found online at the Albert Wisner Public Library in Warwick, New York.
6) We found another early map, but have yet to get images from it. The New Milford Historical Society reproduced an old postcard portraying a section of New Milford on an old map. Since that map didn't match any of the above maps, we concluded that we were missing at least one. It turns out there is an earlier Beers map of Orange/Rockland Counties. As of this writing, the Orange County Historical Society and the New City Library of Rockland both have copies of this map.
Albert Wisner Public Library: www.albertwisnerlibrary.com. Path: Local History, Maps
Orange County Genealogical Society, 101 Main Street, Goshen, New York 10924. Request a catalog in writing.
Many of the transcriptions found here are now in published form. They have been published by the Orange County Genealogical Society (in Goshen, New York). Volume 3 includes my Volume 3 and Volume 5. Volume 4 includes my four parts of New Milford history. There is a planned Volume 5, which will include my Volumes 6, 7, and 8, Part 1, which is about 250 transcriptions. They can be purchase through the Genealogical Society. Just Google them and print out the order form. Or they can be purchased from the Warwick Historical Society. They are also on sale at the gift shop at Baird's Tavern. I would like to thank the Genealogical Society and Dan Burrows for their efforts. Started a new blog for images of Warwick. Go to: www.imagesofwarwicknewyork.blogspot.com.