Announcement



Many of the transcriptions found here are now in published form. They have been published by the Orange County Genealogical Society (in Goshen, New York). Volume 3 includes my Volume 3 and Volume 5. Volume 4 includes my four parts of New Milford history. There is a planned Volume 5, which will include my Volumes 6, 7, and 8, Part 1, which is about 250 transcriptions. They can be purchase through the Genealogical Society. Just Google them and print out the order form. Or they can be purchased from the Warwick Historical Society. They are also on sale at the gift shop at Baird's Tavern. I would like to thank the Genealogical Society and Dan Burrows for their efforts. Started a new blog for images of Warwick. Go to: www.imagesofwarwicknewyork.blogspot.com.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Roy Vail

I have been posting historical articles written by Roy Vail. It appears that he was working on a book called, "Before I Forget." I don't think it ever finished it and these articles published in the Dispatch may be all there is. I consider them important articles on local history because they shed some light on the history of the hamlets and areas outside of the Village of Warwick. The Village was not always the center of Warwick Township. Some of the hamlets, like New Milford and Bellevale, probably had more going on in the early days than the Village. This was due to industry and the streams that powered it. The Vail family lived in the Amity/Blooms Corner/ New Milford areas of the Township. I have enjoyed his articles and want to thank the owner of the Warwick Valley Dispatch for allowing me to post them on this site.

2 comments:

  1. I have a Roy Vail shotgun and am interested in learning who it was originally made for. Do you know if he kept such records and if it is possible to reference them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a teenager, I visited his shop. He made beautiful custom rifles and shotguns. He had done shotguns for Bing Crosby and Dwight Eisenhower and I have a postcard from his shop with the Eisenhower shotgun on it. My gift from my parents was a built Arisaka in 6.5/.257 Roberts with what has to be one of the pieces of Claro Walnut.. Needless to say, this gun has never been taken in the field and has had only 15 rounds through it.Your shotgun could have been built for anyone. He did keep records in accordance with the GCA of '68 but his family would have turned in all ledgers after his passing

    ReplyDelete